Why it's essential to run SDMA every time you run creatinine and BUN
SDMA provides deeper insights because of its 3 key attributes
- SDMA is a biomarker for kidney function.
- SDMA increases early, with only 25% of kidney function lost.1–3
- SDMA is specific for kidney function and less impacted by extrarenal factors, including body condition, advanced age, and disease state.4,5
Common cases when SDMA is essential
When SDMA is increased and other results are normal
SDMA detected Bess' chronic kidney disease (CKD), allowing treatment to begin earlier.
Bess showed some moderate periodontal disease, and other examination parameters were within normal limits. Learn why it's important to pay attention when SDMA is increased and other factors look normal.
Read the case study.
When diagnosing hyperthyroid patients
When assessing kidney function in puppies and kittens
Two options: same reliable results
The in-house Catalyst SDMA Test for use with the Catalyst One and Catalyst Dx chemistry analyzers
The IDEXX SDMA Test, included with every chemistry panel or as a stand-alone test from IDEXX Reference Laboratories
Note: SDMA is symmetric dimethylarginine.
- Nabity MB, Lees GE, Boggess M, et al. Symmetric dimethylarginine assay validation, stability, and evaluation as a marker for early detection of chronic kidney disease in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(4):1036–1044.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in cats with chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2014;28(6):1676–1683.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Almes K, Jewell DE. Serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine in dogs with naturally occurring chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(3):794–802.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Yu S, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in healthy geriatric cats fed reduced protein foods enriched with fish oil, L-carnitine, and medium-chain triglycerides. Vet J. 2014;202(3):588–596.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Melendez LD, Jewell DE. Relationship between lean body mass and serum renal biomarkers in healthy dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(3):808–814.
- International Renal Interest Society. 2015 IRIS CKD Staging Guidelines. www.iris-kidney.com/guidelines. Accessed May 9, 2018.
- Data on file at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Westbrook, Maine USA.
- Lulich JP, Osborne CA, O'Brien TD, Polzin DJ. Feline renal failure: questions, answers, questions. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet. 1992;14(2):127–153.
- Brown SA. Renal dysfunction in small animals. The Merck Veterinary Manual website. www.merckvetmanual.com/urinary_system/noninfectious_diseases_of_the_urinary_system_in_small_animals/renal_dysfunction_in_small_animals. Updated October 2013. Accessed May 9, 2018.